Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Should I (Or You) Audition For Last Comic Standing?

A lot of comedians I know are buzzing about this year of Last Comic Standing. It's gone under a complete makeover, with legitimate judges, the best host they've ever had (Craig Robinson!) and a retooling of the show's format. Now, if this season is successful enough, that almost guarantees that the show will come back in a similar fashion next year.

Which brings me to my question: Should I (or any other comic at my experience level) audition for Last Comic Standing next year? It's a long time away (next January to March, most likely) and presumably I'll have a bit more then than my pithy fifteen minutes of material that I currently carry around with me like Santa's sack of toys. Here's the latest episode of Last Comic Standing, watch it and you'll get a sense for what I'm about to say.





Goodie, this show makes dreams come true! I should definitely audition, right?

Word in the local comic community here is that in order to do well on Last Comic Standing, you need management. You need a couple years of experience, you need something other than just fifteen minutes of jokes and pure optimism. A lot of the people you see making it through to the semifinals do so because they have an agent that set that up for them, or so I hear. So what's the point then? I mean, how many of the people that you see standing in line outside in the audition round actually make it to the showcase that night? Think about it, none of those random people you see in line ever end up in the showcase, do they?

I had a long Facebook status conversation with Shane Mauss, a comedian on the current season of LCS. The advice he had gave me some insight into the workings of Last Comic Standing, and I think every aspiring comedian considering auditioning for the show should read it:













So there you have it. Advice from someone who advanced to the semifinals. Now whether you (or I) take it, just remember: there's no such thing as "blowing" it. There's never a point in your career that you can't return from, no matter how dire the situation. So if you're worrying about trying out for the show because you feel like it'd be your one shot at fame, don't worry.

It won't be.

Just keep working on your material, constantly revise your act, strive to be funnier than you ever have been every day. If you work hard enough, you won't need a reality show to get famous.

Question: If you're currently an aspiring comedian, are you planning on trying out for the show next year? Has this blog affected your opinion of the show either positively or negatively? Do you have management? Can you hand them my audition tape?

No comments:

Upcoming Shows!

Upcoming Shows
get this portable calendar at comedysoapbox.com

I'm A Twit.

    follow me on Twitter