Sunday, April 18, 2010

People That Inspire Me: Patton Oswalt



Patton Oswalt is my all-time favorite comedian. Here is just one reason why:



Patton is a Grammy-nominated comedian who you probably knew about before from his role on King Of Queens, a decent CBS sitcom that launched the career of Kevin James. I believe Kevin James's shitty career is cosmic karmic balance for Patton's awesome one.





I first heard about Patton from his stand up special No Reason To Complain on Comedy Central. I caught it, and thought he was hilarious. It wasn't until he released his CD Werewolves And Lollipops that his genius came shining through for me.



This album kept me laughing for years afterward, and I still can listen back and just get caught up in that man's genius. You see, Patton's set-ups are amazing. They're almost always exactly like set-ups for normal non-Patton Oswalt jokes that non-Patton Oswalt comedians tell. You get in Patton's car and when you hear the set-up, you think, "Oh, I know where this is headed." But instead of going into a normal type of fruition with the joke, he instead drives the car off a cliff, and instead of crashing, it sprouts wings and flies into the stratosphere. Using obscure referencing and hyperbole, he whisks you away to a heavenly joke sanctuary in the clouds. He's unlike every comedian I've ever heard.



And the worst part, you can't recreate Patton's brand of humor. I've tried to write Patton-type jokes, they SUCK. Every comedian I've ever heard that tries to capture his essence has failed miserably. He truly is one-of-a-kind, and if you're a fan of George Carlin and Bill Hicks, and you haven't heard Patton, well you need to get started. He's carrying their torch now.



Here are some cool links:

Patton Oswalt's MySpace, Website, Facebook fan page, Wikipedia page.

No comments:

Upcoming Shows!

Upcoming Shows
get this portable calendar at comedysoapbox.com

I'm A Twit.

    follow me on Twitter